Loving God, serving our neighbours

Welcome Guide

Welcome to St. Faith’s Church

To download the latest edition of our Newcomer’s Guide, please click here:  Welcome Booklet

For an inside tour, street view and photographs – click here

The following information is taken from a general guide to the building, which can be found on the table at the North Entrance to the church to assist the visitor


A church has stood on this site for over 900 years.  The dedication to St Faith has existed since the eleventh century.  The building stands at the ancient East West Crossing of the Portchester to Chichester Roads and the North West crossing leading to Langstone and Hayling Island.   It is possible that the site was a halting station for Roman troops.

ChurchPlan jpeg


Flag of Loyal Havant Volunteers

1. This large flag or ‘colour’ was presented to the Loyal Havant Volunteers in 1799 by the then Rector of St Faith’s.  The Troop was raised from local men to help protect the English Coast against  French invasion.  The flag is made of blue silk and is very fragile.  The symbols on it are painted, not embroidered

 Statue of St. Faith of Aquitaine

2. The statue of St Faith of Aquitaine stands in a blocked up doorway which once led to the tower.  During the time of the Roman Emperor Diocletian (AD 290), St Faith a young girl who lived in Agen in France.  She refused to worship the Roman heathen gods and was put to death on a burning gridiron by the order of Dacian, the Roman Governor of Spain.


Oldest part of church

3.This is the oldest undisturbed part of the building.  It was constructed in the early thirteenth century.  Originally it was lit by the lancet windows in the North and South of each wall.  The North East one still survives.


Pillars supporting Tower

4. The pillars supporting the tower rest on a foundation of Roman tiles and cement.  The upper blocked doorway near the chancel arch was once the entrance to a flight of steps leading to another doorway which would have led to the rood screen.


lady chaple

5. The Lady Chapel.  This was donated by Captain Boyd Richardson as a memorial to his mother.  It was dedicated by the Bishop of Salisbury in 1936.  The design is by Sir Charles Nicholson.

The Font

6. The font was given in memory of George Robert Mountain, Rector of Havant from 1825 – 1846, whose father had been the Bishop of Quebec.  In his time as Rector, the tower was repaired, the church re-pewed, the nave rebuilt and an organ purchased. He established clothing clubs for the poor, increased the weekly services and oversaw the building of the parish and infant schools.  The money for the font was raised by parishioners.  Note the stone set into the wall by the west door.  It was discovered in the nineteenth century and thought possibly to be a part of the original Saxon font.



7. This window is in memory of HMS Havant, a destroyer which helped in the evacuation of troops from Dunkirk in 1940.  She rescued over 1,500 troops but was sunk on her last sortie. 1 officer and 5 ratings were killed, 25 wounded as were 25 of the troops she was carrying.  A memorial service is held every year in memory of this event.


BMC Robert Grant

8. The glass used for this window incorporates both modern and traditional methods.  The Church and Church House were photographed, scanned on computer and then etched, shot blasted on to the glass and then fired at a very high temperature.  The window commemorates Robert George Grant, (1912 -1994), a local chartered surveyor who, as chairman of the Church’s Fabric Committee, spent a considerable time arranging and instructing repairs to church properties.

The window was designed to encompass aspects of his work for the buildings and as a surveyor.  In  addition to the buildings, the red striped staff signifies the Fellowship of  The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors as their symbol and at the bottom of the window are a ruler (scale) and tape measure, being the tools of the trade.

The window has been put together with the traditional method of leading with copper ties and glazing bars and faced externally with modern polycarbonate glass to resist vandalism.

The window was designed and manufactured by Venessa Cutler, a local designer and stained glass artist who was a lecturer (in 1999) at Wolverhampton University, which is recognised as one of the leading universities in glass design and technology.

Layout Model in Church (with Braille)

Researched by Peter Elmes, Pam Moore and Phyllida Acworth. Compiled by Hilary Deadman


The weathervane was restored by “Tarrant Specialist Earthing Ltd” in August 2016



For details of the clock and clock faces click here